Friday, March 19, 2010

A Serious Baby

Nubby fell asleep during our walk on Thursday which was miracle discovery.  So long as the weather stays hopeful, I'll have a chance to calm her when she's fussy which seems to happen quite often.  To my seasoned mommas - do babies normally get fussy and want to be held all the time around this age?  At six weeks, Nubby became even more fussy than normal.  My normally independent newborn began to show signs of neediness.  She would cry and cry and until I held her to which the crying would stop.


It's strange, but I feel slightly glad.  Nubby seemed to come out of the womb an independent lady.  Although she depended on me to feed, bath, clothe, ect.. she still seemed as if she could get all that done without me.  Her cries told me that in a strange way.  She was so serious... Not like those cute chubby babies full of mirth and laughter as soon as they pop out the womb (not that my darling isn't cute cause she's a beautiful baby).  Nubby was different.  Serious and about business from the start.  This is going to sound even more strange (it's probably my postpartum reading into it...), but I got the feeling when she was born that she didn't much like me much.  Now at seven weeks, all she wants is for me to hold her.  It's feeding my bruise postpartum ego.  It makes me feel so wanted when Nubby coos in my arms.  She even gazes at me with this intense curious stare while she's feeding.  I'll admit: I love it.

So despite that fact that my arms hurt from holding her so much and that I'm not able to do any chores or writing when she's awake, I'm still very glad.  My baby's curious about me.  We are developing a relationship.  I'm sure I'll cry the first time she calls me "Mommy".  I'm such a sap for stuff like that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment